Providence Chapel

24 Bell End, Rowley Regis B65 9LU

History


The Chapel at Rowley was founded by a local iron trader, Daniel Matthews, in the 1820s. His ministry under God, was greatly blessed, resulting in the opening of the present Chapel in 1875 and subsequently the setting up of a similar chapel in Willenhall in 1879. Daniel Matthews served the church in Rowley from 1829-1888, a ministry of almost 60 years.

Daniel Matthews’ pastoral concern for the people of Rowley Regis further evidenced itself in the 1840s, when he, with others, joined the national campaign for the abolition of the notorious Corn Laws which kept the price of corn and subsequently bread very high, causing significant distress amongst the poor. Also during his ministry, he compiled a number of written works, and again with the poverty of the district in mind, to save costs, compiled his own hymnbook. Many of the hymns he wrote himself and the book continued to be in use, alongside Gadsby’s Selection until very recent times. 

Following on from Mr Matthews were Mr Alfred Dye, Mr Samuel Rutherford-Hunt, Mr Herbert E. Stonelake and Mr Timothy Martin.

In the 1960 and early 70s the chapel had a very large and extensive Sunday School and young people’s work, fondly remembered even today by many who attended, and are still living in the area.

Some will remember the church in more recent times, under the faithful ministry of Mr Sidney Tromans and latterly, Mr Desmond McComb.

The present congregation is small but has the desire under God, to expand and grow.

© 2026 | Privacy Policy

Website by Truthvine